Building for Generations
When we talk about ‘Building for Generations’, we mean that we express responsibility and respect for people, society and our environment. Anyone and everyone that builds can make a contribution, and we believe they are obligated to think sustainably and act accordingly.
Sustainability is already evident in the way that a construction material’s production process uses and conserves resources. The focus is on the building product’s performance and its possible contribution to conserving resources thanks to insulating properties. But there is another aspect that is of key importance to us: architecture and how materials age. What we build today should age appealingly so that future generations will also enjoy it and want to live there. Well thought-out architecture combined with materials that age slowly and gracefully will remain attractive for generations. When we all ensure that the social and economical dimensions of the sustainability concept is combined with ecological aspects, we can achieve the true impact behind the idea of sustainability.
Roof tiles are already a sustainable choice of material thanks to their extreme longevity and natural ageing process. But that does not mean that they cannot be improved in a variety of ways. Our aim in these regards is not just to meet politically set energy savings targets. Rather, we are driven by the vision of producing the most sustainable roof tiles in the world. It’s about showing respect for people, society and the environment – and anyone that chooses our roof tiles for their construction project can rest assured that they have made a contribution towards sustainability. Responsible construction creates joy and wellbeing for generations. Sustainability in its true form.
GREENER – sustainable roof tiles with radically reduced CO2
GREENER is our line of sustainable products exclusively produced with green electricity and biogas. This means that CO2pollution is radically reduced without compromising on the technical properties that define modern roof tile products.
Our Greener products
- 52000 11 Rheinland Variabel natural red
- 52000 12 Rheinland Variabel antique
- 52000 14 Rheinland Variabel red
- 52000 21 Rheinland Variabel grey
- 52000 30 Rheinland Variabel xenon-grey
- 51000 11 Mulden Variabel natural red
- 51000 12 Mulden Variabel antique
- 51000 14 Mulden Variabel red
- 51000 30 Mulden Variabel xenon-grey
- 51000 50 Mulden Variabel black
- 51000 108 Mulden Variabel dark brown
- 55000 11 Ideal Variabel natural red
- 55000 12 Ideal Variabel antique
- 55000 20 Ideal Variabel black
- 55000 30 Ideal Variabel xenon-grey
- 55000 40 Ideal Variabel satin black
- 55000 50 Ideal Variabel black
- 55000 121 Ideal Variabel malachite green
- 56000 14 Tiefa XLTOP red
- 56000 18 Tiefa XLTOP rustique
- 56000 20 Tiefa XLTOP black
- 56000 21 Tiefa XLTOP grey
- 56000 25 Tiefa XLTOP graphite black
- 56000 30 Tiefa XLTOP xenon-grey
- 56000 40 Tiefa XLTOP satin black
- 56000 41 Tiefa XLTOP satin grey
- 56000 50 Tiefa XLTOP black
- 56000 121 Tiefa XLTOP malachite green
- 58000 20 Tiefa Supra black
- 58000 25 Tiefa Supra graphite black
- 58000 30 Tiefa Supra xenon-grey
The firing technology used is the main reason for significantly more sustainable production. The upright stocking of the combustible goods on the tunnel kiln trolley is particularly responsible for this high level of energy efficiency. The top of the tile is cleanly trimmed to guarantee a stable surface to stand on. As a result, Laumans’ kiln trolleys contain more roof tiles than kiln furniture in terms of tonnage. This ratio is the other way around in other producers’ facilities where cassette technology is used.
Another reason for this advantageous energy balance at Laumans is the short distances travelled by the raw clay: 75% is sourced from the production site’s direct vicinity. The firing technology and short distances travelled by the raw material are key to Laumans’ advantageous energy balance. Production sustainability has been verified in an environmental product declaration (EPD) and certified by the ift Rosenheim testing institute.
BIG IMPACT – LOW COSTS
GREENER roof tiles cost slightly more than conventional tiles produced using fossil fuels. The price difference in 2021 is approx. €150 per thousand flat tiles and approx. €0.15 per shaped tile (not including VAT).
From 2022, the latest additional costs dependent on energy prices will be available from our roofing and specialist retail partners. As the roof constitutes a relatively low proportion of the total costs of a new building, these additional costs are barely noticeable. But the ‘GREENER’ label on the roof tile order is all you need to prove you’ve actively done something for the environment.
CERTIFICATION BY LETTER AND SEAL
With each GREENER delivery, we provide a customer-specific and site-specific certificate to confirm the sustainability of the roof tiles, predominantly through the use of green electricity and biogas. Each year, we have our energy supplier confirm our use of green power and biogas. The German Energy Agency logs the amount of biogas we received from our supplier in the dena biogas register (www.dena.de).
FOR SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS
In projects involving environmental certification, GREENER products can be used to directly make a positive difference regarding the certification process. The good eco-balance of Laumans roof tiles is documented in full in the form of an EPD (environmental product declaration), so it can be used in technical calculation programmes. Create your own overview of your impressive carbon savings when you use ourGREENER products with our example calculations for a standard single-family home.
With Laumans GREENER, sustainability calculations will contain the best values yet.
Example CO2 emissions calculation
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
We are convinced that the construction sector still has the potential to become considerably more environmentally friendly. And we know that we, too, must contribute. Our vision is to be the most sustainable producer of roof tiles. This passion is what drives our daily work towards more effective and more environmentally friendly production. We believe that this is a process that never ends, and we are dedicated to continuously improving ourselves.
- In conjunction with the Randers Tegl company group, Laumans supports the UN’s 17 sustainability goals of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development.
- Laumans supports the German government’s aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 55% by 2030 compared to the initial year of 1990.
- We comply with statutory and social requirements regarding energy optimisation for businesses.
- Laumans exclusively uses carbon-neutral hydropower (green energy).
- With our GREENER product line, we are going even further to reduce the carbon footprint of our products.
- We use residual heat from the kilns in our drying rooms.
- We reuse all forms of production surplus.
- We are gradually replacing all light sources with LED lights, and use overhead daylight where possible.
- We purposefully separate waste and recycle materials where possible.
- We use surface water as well as clean water used in the production process for reuse.
- During the production process, we use special flue gas cleaning & sulphur gas afterburning equipment.
- We ensure short transport routes and keep all clay pits within the direct vicinity of our production site.
- We create new biotopes in all of our old clay pits by rewilding & recultivation.
- Our transport pallets are exchangeable EURO pallets that are reused
- Our packaging materials are returned to and recycled by Interseroh AG
- Our brochures and catalogues are printed on FSC-certified paper.
- Laumans is a member of Deutsche Gesellschaft für Nachhaltiges Bauen e.V. (dgnb.de)
- Our web hosting provider Mittwald is 100% climate neutral
- We insist upon 100% flawless documentation of resource consumption through roof tile production. To this end, we’ve created an EPD (Environmental Product Declaration). To us, an EPD is an indication of our status and a compass for improvements that protect our environment.
CLAY – A NATURAL ROOFING MATERIAL
By using natural materials such as clay, we guarantee a healthy future for subsequent generations. We don’t know how many centuries roof tiles actually last for, as some of the oldest tiled buildings are still standing. Fired clay roof tiles are free from harmful substances. The clay we use predominantly comes from clay pits in the vicinity of our workshop. It was formed during the Ice Age and can be extracted through open-cast mining. When we find clay, we first remove the top layer of sand and gravel. We then mine the clay and transport it to our workshop. Finally, these clay pits are returned to nature and recultivated so that the land may be used for its original use – usually forestry. Valuable biotopes are created.
ENVIRONMENTAL PRODUCT DECLARATION (EPD) AND DGNB
Laumans is so passionate about these products, we’ve created an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD).
An EPD is a type III environmental declaration. This provides quantified environmental information from a product’s or a service’s life cycle, allowing comparison between products or services with the same function. An EPD is based on independently reviewed data on life cycle assessments and inventories as well as information modules compliant with the ISO 14040 norm range, and may contain further information where appropriate.
DGNB stands for Deutsche Gesellschaft für Nachhaltiges Bauen (the German Sustainable Building Council). A non-profit based in Stuttgart, since its founding in 2007, the DGNB has been working towards verifiably good buildings, quality neighbourhoods and, most recently, a sustainably built environment. The aim is to transform the building and property market to establish a reasonable understanding of quality as the foundations for responsible, sustainable action.
The DGNB achieves this quality understanding by certifying sustainable buildings, indoor spaces and neighbourhoods where the various aspects of sustainable planning, construction and operation are practically applied. Laumans contributes to the DGBN’s goals, and supports the Council via its membership, among other things.
In projects involving environmental certification, products with a low carbon footprint can be used to directly make a positive difference regarding the certification process. Laumans roof tiles come with complete documentation in the form of an EPD, so they can be used in technical calculation programmes. With Laumans GREENER, sustainability calculations will contain the best values yet.